This visible role is ideal for an ambitious counsel who’s keen to add to his or her knowledge of financial regulations and compliance. You’ll be a respected advisor to a dynamic part of Shell’s global operations.
Where you fit in
You’ll join Shell Asset Management Company B.V. (SAMCo), the in-house asset manager for Shell’s pension funds and insurance companies, operating under a Dutch AIFM licence including MiFIDII services. SAMCo is licensed as a fund manager and provides portfolio services. Continuous change in the financial markets and in financial regulations make this a professionally challenging place to work – regulations and Compliance are at the very top of our agenda.
As part of our Legal & Compliance department, you’ll work alongside four other legal counsels and our Compliance Officers. Together we provide timely, cost-effective, high quality legal and compliance advice on the investments made on behalf of SAMCo’s clients; the investment management agreements with SAMCo’s clients and third-party managers; and the regulatory environment SAMCo and its clients are operating in.
What’s the role?
This is a visible and vital role in SAMCo, with great opportunities to work independently and plenty of exposure. You’ll be a respected presence, trusted by our senior decision-makers to provide professional, timely, cost-effective and practical legal advice and support to the business.
Your remit covers advising on legal issues that apply to SAMCo, its pension fund and insurance clients and to the investments made for those clients. Your responsibilities include:
- Reviewing and negotiating: investment agreements; legal documentation for our Treasury & Trading department (such as broker agreements, trading infrastructure agreements, OTC-derivatives contracts, securities lending); operational agreements that apply to SAMCo as a standalone operating company (IT contracts, account opening documentation, confidentiality agreements, contractor hiring).
- Drafting and negotiating legal documentation for existing and new investment pools, and investment management agreements (e.g. with SAMCo’s clients or external managers.)
- Reviewing, managing and joining class actions and other investor recovery actions and litigation on behalf of SAMCo’s clients.
- Participating in project teams to pro-actively provide legal advice and support to the business by analysing and implementing financial laws and regulations
- Providing legal support on the restructuring of investment structures.
- Representing SAMCo with third-parties and service providers.
- Instructing and managing external counsel.
Country of Work Location
City, State (if applicable)
Rijswijk - Churchilllaan
Shell Asset Management Company B.V. (SAMCo) is the dedicated in-house asset manager for the Royal Dutch Shell plc group, sponsored pension funds and insurance companies and currently manages around USD 85 billion of assets for its clients.
SAMCo is supervised by the Authority for the Financial Markets and the Dutch Central Bank.
The company is internationally oriented with clients in 10 different countries and approximately 160 employees. SAMCo’s objective is to provide high quality and cost effective investment advice and asset management services to its clients.
On behalf of its clients, SAMCo invests in fixed income, equities, and alternative investment categories such as private equity funds, real estate funds and other investment funds, all over the world.
Continuous change in financial markets and regulation as well as the diversity of SAMCo’s clients and the products they invest in, make it a professionally challenging environment to work in. By joining SAMCo you will benefit from a high quality professional work environment that will help to propel your career.
What we need from you
You’ll need either a Dutch law degree or a professional legal qualification coupled with a strong academic background. You’ve shown you can provide sound legal advice to a business in a complex financial regulation and compliance-driven environment and that you have the all-round communication skills (in Dutch and English) to work as part of a diverse, global team with both internal and external stakeholders.
Personally, you’re an accomplished networker, a proven problem-solver and confident decision maker with proven drafting skills. On top of that, we’re looking for the following skills and knowledge – or a willingness to acquire them:
- Strong knowledge of the legal and regulatory framework (e.g. Dutch Financial Supervision Act (Wft); MAD, AIFMD, MiFID II, EMIR, GDPR) applicable to SAMCo as an AIFM licensed entity and providing MiFID regulated services.
- An understanding of pensions laws (e.g. Dutch pension law, ERISA, EPPA, KAGB) is an advantage.
- Strong understanding of financial markets and trading, including infrastructure and settlement cycles and related legal risks for the kind of products traded by SAMCo.
- Knowledge of fund investments, OTC and ETD derivatives, equity and fixed income products.
- Experience with asset management services.
- An active interest in related ethics and compliance areas.
- Strong stakeholder management and networking skills
Shell is a company with shared values. Honesty, integrity, and respect aren't simply a strapline: they are a part of everything we do. What's more, Shell is an equal opportunities company, and we place the highest possible value on the diversity of our people and our inclusive approach.
Join us and you’ll belong to a world where you can feel pride in your achievements and propel your career with global opportunities
We care deeply about fostering a truly diverse workplace. We believe in doing everything we can to make Shell as flexible, appealing and supportive a place for women to work as possible. And we've retained our title as a top employer for women in the Times again in 2017.
We help with things like our formal (and informal) flexible working. Like our global and transparent pay policies backed by a leadership team fully supportive of our diversity ambitions. And we'll help foster your career through our Women's Career Development programme and our extensive Women's Network.
People with an impairment
At Shell, we're all about top talent. End of story. We want to encourage those of you who may face an impairment to regard Shell as a place where you'll be fully supported to grow and develop your career. It's as simple as that.
If you'd like to apply, just let us know about your circumstances. We can support you throughout the process. From application, to interview, to your first day of a rewarding career with us.
Apply via the 'Apply' button.
Agency calls are not appreciated.