Managing Counsel - Projects EMEA
- Shell - Rijswijk Office
- Excellent salary
- Online via JBB t/m
- Functie type
- Juridisch medewerker
Managing Counsel - Projects EMEA
Projects & Technology (P&T) was established to improve performance, functioning as the golden thread across the Shell value chain, working closely with the Lines of Business to enhance Shell’s competitive edge. P&T provides technical services, technology capability and project delivery for both Upstream, Integrated Gas, Downstream and New Energies. P&T also drives research and innovation to create technology solutions for tomorrow. Wells delivery, Safety & Environment and Contracting & Procurement are also rooted in P&T.
The role of the Shell Legal Projects & Technology (LSPT) organization is to provide legal advice, support and related services to the Projects & Technology Businesses in a proactive, timely, cost-effective and professional manner with a view to furthering business objectives and protecting shareholder interests. LSPT seeks to ensure that legal risks are identified, appropriate alternative structures and strategies are considered and documents are drafted to accurately reflect commercial decisions, at all times consistent with professional standards, legal obligations, the Shell General Business Principles and the rest of the Shell Control Framework.
Within LSPT, the LSPT Projects team provides support to two Technical Divisions: Projects & Engineering and Development. Shell Projects is responsible for the execution of all design, engineering and construction of Shell’s capital projects, including a number of megaprojects (involving anticipated capital expenditure of well over USD 5b per project) and several hundreds of other projects, varying in size from very large to relatively small. PT Development is involved in a range of activities, also including technical advice and support to projects that are executed by non-Shell controlled joint ventures, in particular LNG joint ventures. The legal support provided by LSPT Projects mainly focuses on the drafting and support to negotiations of FEED, EPC and other significant project contracts and project related Enterprise Framework Agreements, development of model contracts relating to design, engineering, construction and technical services, as well as post contractual claims which often arise in large projects.
The LSPT Projects team consists of one Associate General Counsel, two Managing Counsel (for the Americas and for the Eastern Hemisphere), 15 Legal Counsel and Senior Legal Counsel and two admin support staff. The team is spread over eight locations in various parts of the world. In locations were the team is not represented, there is a close collaboration with the lawyers in the relevant business syndicates. The AGC P&T Projects reports to the General Counsel P&T.
This position reports into the AGC P&T Projects and will include responsibility for support to activities in EMEA, Asia and Australia.
- Manage a team of six direct reports (Legal Counsel and Senior Legal Counsel), based in Rijswijk, Aberdeen, Lagos, Singapore and Perth;
- Supervise legal support provided to Projects & Engineering, Development and CP Projects in relation to the Eastern Hemisphere;
- Hands-on involvement in particularly complicated, high-value or high-profile matters, including “thought leadership” on the strategic direction of P&T in relation to EPC contracting and enhancing the effectiveness of Shell’s involvement in construction projects in non-operated ventures;
- Provide coaching and steer to lawyers in Business-facing Departments who work on capital projects in the Eastern Hemisphere;
- Identify areas where Legal can help the Business and P&T staff improve (such as the Model Contracts Library, claims handling processes, contract management, etc.) and drive resulting improvement initiatives;
- Deputize for the AGC P&T Projects as and when required.
Country of Work Location Netherlands
City, State Rijswijk
Work Location Rijswijk - Kessler Park
Shell Nederland BV is a platform for international collaboration, with Shell offering direct employment to around ten thousand people in the Netherlands alone, including roughly 2,800 non-Dutch employees from around 80 countries. Diversity is key at Shell Nederland, and our employees reflect the innovation that stems from a diverse workforce. By joining Shell Nederland, you will benefit from an unrivalled industry-leading development programme that will see you tap into a pool of expert knowledge that will help propel your career. Shell Nederland is the holding company of most Shell companies operating in the Netherlands. Shell Nederland also has an advisory and coordinating role in numerous areas.
- Law degree or professional legal qualification
- Extensive knowledge of, and experience with, the main legal areas relevant to construction projects (including FEED, EPC and EPCM contracts), preferably relating to projects both within and outside the energy sector. In some ways this is an SME position requiring in depth knowledge of EPC contracts, contractors, contracting strategies, construction claims and construction litigation;
- Demonstrated ability to effectively supervise and coach a team of lawyers in various locations
- Strong in business partnering; well-respected sparring partner to senior management in Projects and CP Projects on strategic issues (including commercial and other issues beyond traditional legal areas)
- Drive to co-own business outcomes and deliver results
- Ability to build and maintain an effective network with lawyers throughout Shell Legal and in the industry
- Ability to develop a long-term vision on LSPT Projects’ contribution on continuous business improvement, to create stakeholder buy-in to such vision and to drive through its execution
- Excellent communication skills
- Fluent written and spoken English
Apply now via the 'Apply' button.