Senior IP Counsel (Patents)
- Online via JBB t/m
- Functie type
- Bedrijfsjurist, Legal Counsel
A wide-ranging and influential international role for a skilled and experienced IP professional
The AkzoNobel Legal Group (ALG) is responsible for AkzoNobel Legal, Compliance and Intellectual Property matters. Intellectual Property (IP) is a key focus as we seek to protect a wide portfolio of renowned brands and products that cover all areas of paints and coatings.
Within this context your core mission in this role is to provide reasoned and high-level advice to business leaders on how best to exploit IP opportunities, mitigate IP risks and establish collaborative agreements with third parties. Once a decision is made you define the IP strategy/plan and oversee its implementation along with any other specific IP actions to be taken.
Is this a challenge that matches your profile as a highly credible and analytical specialist who can provide outstanding counsel and sound judgement that aligns with our business strategy? Do you have experience of handling and settling IP disputes? Are you familiar with agreements such as IP licenses, confidentiality agreements, and joint development agreements? Above all, can you make a real difference within our dynamic, multinational and multicultural business environment?
If you offer all this and more we invite you to apply for the position of
Senior IP Counsel
The role and its responsibilities
This stimulating and high-profile role is based at our regional hub in Arnhem, the Netherlands. From here you partner with one or more businesses in order to perform three core activities:
1: Exploit IP Opportunities
You collaborate with businesses to identify IP assets and provide clear advice on an effective protection strategy and regime that builds and maintains a value-added IP (patent) portfolio with a sustainable competitive advantage. This requires you to:
- Draft patent applications;
- Manage a global patent portfolio and secure patent rights for the businesses;
- Handle prosecution, opposition and appeal cases before the European Patent Office, and represent AkzoNobel in oral hearings;
- Ensure continual alignment of the IP portfolio with business priorities and advising on risk/reward scenarios;
- Provide IP training to businesses.
2: Mitigate IP Risks
You advise on potential risks and create effective and creative solutions to minimize risks. Thus you:
- Advise on the freedom-to-operate of third-party patent positions and mitigating actions;
- Create and maintain business awareness of third-party IP landscapes;
- Partner with litigation counsel.
3: Leverage competitive advantage
You assist other IP Counsels and businesses to establish the basis of effective collaborations with third parties, assisting in negotiating and drafting of collaboration agreements.
As such, this is a varied role in which no two days are the same. You must be able to quickly prioritize IP issues and manage your workload accordingly via a risk/value based approach.
This requires technical, legal and business knowledge in order to assess the technical, legal and business cases behind an IP opportunity or risk mitigation. It also demands an ability to constantly fluctuate between deep technical discussions, developing creative legal solutions, and communicating on a higher/strategic business level.
To apply for this position you must possess all the following attributes:
- Academic degree in chemistry, ideally to PhD level, and at least 8 years of experience as an in-house IP Counsel;
- Qualified EP Patent Attorney with experience in handling oppositions and appeals before the EPO;
- An advanced ability to provide clear advice to the business and clear legal arguments;
- Ideally you have knowledge of polymer and coating chemistry and/or working experience as IP counsel in the paints and coatings technology field;
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills including a high level or written and spoken English.
We welcome your online application via our website www.akzonobel.com/careers, reference190001BY. Or click on the 'Apply'button. Please note that applications sent by mail will not be considered. If you have any question, please feel free to contact Ashna Badal, Talent Resourcing Partner, phone +31 (0)88 0106789, option 2.
An employment screening will be part of the selection process.
Agency or sales calls are not appreciated
AkzoNobel has a passion for paint. We’re experts in the proud craft of making paints and coatings, setting the standard in color and protection since 1792. Our world class portfolio of brands – including Dulux, International, Sikkens and Interpon – is trusted by customers around the globe. Headquartered in the Netherlands, we are active in over 150 countries and employ around 34,500 talented people who are passionate about delivering the high-performance products and services our customers expect. For more information please visit www.akzonobel.com.