Legal Counsel - EMEA
As Legal Counsel you will be joining Irdeto’s legal team based at our HQ (Hoofddorp, Netherlands). You will work closely with all attorneys and paralegals, and, as applicable, with legal and other relationship managers at Naspers (e.g. Data Privacy head). As Irdeto operates globally, the work environment is very international and you will be coordinating with colleagues, partners and customers locally as well as overseas on different time zones. At times you may also be expected to travel. In this role you will reporting to the Associate General Counsel (EMEA) and with a dotted line to the Data Protection Officer (Associate General Counsel – Americas and IP).
Your key responsibilities will be:
- Draft and negotiate software technology license agreements, relating to Irdeto’s core products and services.
- Provide advice on (including negotiating and drafting, as applicable) in-house business matters and contracts, including procurement agreements, NDAs, evaluation agreements, leases, etc.
- Coordinate Data Privacy matters in Europe, including compliance with GDPR and other data privacy regulations and related company initiatives and diligence.
- Focus on supporting Irdeto’s growth in developing Partner programs (partnership relationships), ensuring that contracts, templates, and deals with new and future partners regionally and globally are being created and negotiated timely.
- Manage the partners’ contracting processes, ensuring deals are being proactively managed and tracked.
- Provide general support to the global legal team and workflow needs.
- Contribute to all company legal matters, including corporate formalities, potential diligence and related matters on M&As, HR matters, and disputes (whether litigation, regulatory or otherwise).
Skills and experience we hope you will bring to the team:
- 5+ years’ experience (as a practicing attorney) with IP and transactional licensing, including direct experience with software license agreements.
- Excellent drafting and negotiating skills, and fluency in English.
- Experience managing a large volume of contracts and balance competing internal demands.
- Excellent time management skills and ability to prioritize and meet shifting deadlines.
- Able to navigate transactions, understanding deal economics to provide sound commercial advice, together with balancing and spotting risks to protect the company.
- Experience in the media and/or automotive fields a plus, but not mandatory.
- Experience with data privacy regulatory rules (including GDPR), with CIPP/E certifications or equivalent is a plus (otherwise we expect you to have a willingness to obtain these certifications)
- Strong interpersonal skills - to deal with a range of clients and internal customers, as well as professionally representing the company and the Legal Department’s role with respect to its parent (Naspers).
- Experience as an attorney trained at a major law firm and/or in-house roles preferable (with ideal candidate having mix of both).
- Ability and willingness to juggle basic-level work, such as NDAs and vendor contracts, together with sophisticated deals.
- Comfortable working in an international business environment, where day-to-day work is conducted in English, and be amenable to odd hours for coordinating with overseas offices.