Lawyer-Linguist with Dutch as main language
- European Central Bank
- Online via JBB t/m
- Functie type
- Juridisch medewerker
- Financiele dienstverlening
You will be part of the Legislation Division in the Directorate General Legal Services. The Division is responsible for preparing the ECB’s legal acts in the official EU languages, for drafting legal documents and ensuring their legal, linguistic and terminological consistency, and for publishing and disseminating the ECB’s legal framework and other legal publications.
In your role as a Lawyer-Linguist with Dutch as your main language, you will be responsible for translating primarily ECB legal acts and other legal texts from English into Dutch and for revising translations of such texts provided by external suppliers. The documents relate to both central banking and banking supervision. You will work closely with other lawyer-linguists and lawyers in the Directorate General Legal Services, as well as staff from a variety of other ECB business areas. You may also be asked to contribute to the legal knowledge management function in the Directorate General Legal Services.
As a Lawyer-Linguist you will:
- translate draft ECB legal acts and other legal documents from English into Dutch;
- translate documents related to court proceedings from English into Dutch;
- revise Dutch translations of ECB legal acts and other legal documents;
- translate legal texts from Dutch into English for internal working purposes, and revise translations from Dutch into English of national laws, documents related to court proceedings and other legal documents;
- contribute to the drafting of ECB legal acts;
- contribute to the coordination of the work of the team of lawyer-linguists on multilingual translation projects;
- liaise with counterparts at the ECB, De Nederlandsche Bank, the the Nationale Bank van België/Banque Nationale de Belgique and other relevant European and national institutions;
- cooperate with freelance lawyer-linguists, including establishing and maintaining contacts, training and information-sharing;
- contribute, as required, to the legal knowledge management function in the Directorate General Legal Services and to the general legal work of the ECB.
The position offers you excellent opportunities to contribute to the quality of ECB legal acts. You will be part of a multicultural team that strives for continuous innovation to make a positive impact on the lives of European citizens.
Qualifications, experience and skills
- a master’s degree or equivalent (read more ) in law obtained at a university in the Netherlands, in Belgium or in a country where Dutch is an official or recognized language;
- a mastery-level command of Dutch, which should be your main language and the language of tuition of the qualification referred to above;
- a mastery-level command of English;
- professional experience in translating gained, for example, by working as a lawyer in a multilingual law firm or as a translator.
- professional experience in translating legal, financial or economic texts from English into Dutch or Dutch into English;
- professional experience in drafting and/or translating legislation;
- a good knowledge of EU and financial law;
- an intermediate command of a third official language of the EU.
You engage collaboratively with others. You pursue team goals and learn willingly from other people’s diverse perspectives. You signal any need for change by explaining it and proposing alternative solutions. You analyse complex information effectively and can evaluate different views to arrive at solutions. You know and anticipate stakeholder needs.
We are willing to discuss part-time arrangements and the possibility of working remotely.
The recruitment process for this position may include a remote written exercise or a pre-recorded video interview at the pre-selection stage and – if you are invited to participate further in the selection procedure – an on-site written exercise and interviews.
Application and selection process
For further information on how to apply, please click the Apply Button.
Closingdate: 3rd of september 2018